Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 13 month old with blue hands

mello77 - Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 am

My 13 month old son is having episodes where his fingers and hands are turning dark blue and they are very cold. He had an episode that lasted 3 hours on Friday and again for about 1 hour Sunday morning. He had the stomach flu last week but has not thrown up or had diarrea for 2 days now. I noticed that eating seems to trigger it also.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:44 pm

User avatar Hello Mello77,

There are a few possibilities. It may be that your son is a little dehydrated causing the blood vessels in his hands to contract down some. His recent illness may have caused him to not drink enough fluids resulting in this.

There is a condition called Raynaud's phenomenon that can do this (although it classically affects the finger tips more than the fingers). It would be very unusual for Raynaud's to present in a child this age so this is much less likely.

If this continues I would recommend your son be evaluated by his pediatrician.

mello77 - Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 am

Thank you. I talked to my daycare provider today and she said the purple went clear up to his elbows on his first episode. I will keep an eye on him to see how often it happens and under what circumstances.