Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 8 year old low iron

TiffanyPDX - Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:30 pm

My 8 year old son had blood drawn 2 months ago showing that he was anemic. His HGB was 10.4; HCT 29.4 ;Iron 30; TIBC 310; transferrin saturation 10. I took him back to the doctor this week for a week long fever and no other associated symptoms besides tired/weak/loss of appitite. His blood work drawn last week were a normal CBC (anemia resolved) but his iron dropped dispite taking iron supplement at 40mg and vitamin C and increasing both heme and non-heme iron in the foods I prepare for him. His new iron level is 27; TIBC 361; Transferrin saturation 7. How could his anemia inprove if his iron stores went down??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 pm

User avatar Hello TiffanyPDX,

There are a few possible reasons for this. First, it may be that his anemia was from something else. This is probably less likely since iron deficiency is by far the most common cause of anemia and his iron levels are low.

It may also be that he has received enough iron by this point to make new red cells and recover from the anemia but not enough yet to restore his iron stores. In this case, he simply needs to remain on treatment dose iron for a bit longer.

The other possibility is that he is continuing to loose iron. The most common reason for this situation would be blood loss from the GI tract. There is a simple test to look for blood in the stool that may be a reasonable test to do.

Follow up with his doctor will help assess this further.