Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: teen BMI

jctmom - Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:38 am

My 15 year old son is upset because he has a BMI (calculated in health class at school) of 25. He has a BFI of 14.6. He plays tennis 5 days a week year round and gets plenty of other exercise. The BMI scales say he overweight, but his does not take muscle into accout. How should this be measured? I cannot believe he is overweight.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:46 pm

User avatar Hello Jctmom,

The Body Mass Index is a helpful tool to assess weight but it is not without its flaws. Health status is a multifaceted issue that is only partially dependent upon weight. This certainly is not to downplay the issue of truly being overweight. For your son, I would emphasize the overall goals of being healthy including a healthy diet and proper exercise plan.

His body fat percentage (14.6%) is likely an appropriate percentage for him. If there is concern I would suggest he see his pediatrician to get a full evaluation and be sure that all is well.