Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 4 year old son is the size of 2 yr old with no bone age dela

austinlogan - Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:40 pm

My son is almost 4 and is only 27 pounds and 33 inches tall. We had a bone age scan done when he was 3 yrs and 2 months old and the bone age was of a 2 year to 2 year 8 month old. in a year time frame he has only gained a pound and almost an inch. We did another bone age scan yesterday and it was bone age of a 3 yr 8 month old. He will be 4 in June. My ped. is having him tested for cystic fibrosis and going to an endocronologist. Im confused if I should be worried. I mean he is really really small. My two year old is bigger then him, it just seems like he never has a growth spurt. I thought that if it was a putuitary gland problem then he would have a bone age delay Im confused. I also don't understand why he is being tested for cystic fibrosis if he doesn't have symptoms of lungs problems. PLEASE HELP!!!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:58 pm

User avatar Hello Austinlogan,

Cystic fibrosis can present as "failure to thrive" (basically failure to grow) well before it begins to manifest with lung problems. I would agree with the sweat chloride test to evaluate for CF.

You are correct that generally problems with the pituitary (growth hormone, etc.) have a delayed bone age. The difficult part is that bone age x-rays give an age plus or minus several months. So if the bone age is read as 3 yrs 8 months with a span of 8 months his bone age may actually be more like 3 years which may be considered delayed in that age. Seeing the endocrinologist is important to help sort this out. It may be that your son should have a growth hormone stimulation test to see if he is making enough. The endocrinologist will help sort all this out for you.

Best wishes.
 austinlogan - Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Thankyou so much for your response! He got tested for CF today and it came back negative so we will be seeing a endocrinologist. with what I have told you would you think there is more of a chance of something wrong with his hormones, is there a possibility that he is just this small? If it is a hormone problem what kind of treament is given and will he live a normal life?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us