Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 11 year old says tongue burns when she runs?

sarabeesara - Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 pm

My fifth grade daughter complained this morning that, in p.e. when they run on the track, her tongue always feels like it's on fire!

I've never heard of such a strange symptom. Should I take her to the dr. prior to her annual mid summer physical for camp?

thx
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:30 pm

User avatar Hello Sarabeesara,

It may be that she is feeling a sensation of increased pressure from an elevated blood pressure. As you probably know, exercise can increase the blood pressure some. This pressure transmitted to the tongue could cause a feeling of pain.

The other possibility is that she is getting a bit dehydrated causing some decreased blood flow to her tongue. This could cause her to have the feelings of burning. Increasing her fluid intake may help with this.

If this gets worse or isn't getting better I would recommend she see her doctor just to be sure everything is OK. It is unlikely anything bad is going on but a check up will help be sure.