Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 4 year old with blue penis head

 cElla - Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 pm

My four year old son was circumcised when he was born. He has always had an extreme sensitivity in that area during diaper changes and bathtime, but, recently I noticed when the skin is pulled back on his penis, the head or tip is a grayish blue color. It doesn't seem that it is painful, just real sensitive. Is it normal for it to be that way or could it be something serious? I once heard that the xtra skin can suffocate the head of the penis. Is this true? Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
This sounds like a normal appearance. Are you saying the color has changed from what it normally looks like? Of course you should discuss it with the child's pediatrician but I would not consider this an emergency situation by any means.

You do not have to worry about skin suffocating the penis or any other problem from that. The skin is loose in the flaccid state and it allows the changing penis shape that occurs with erection. Nothing special needs to be done.

Best wishes.
 henjen - Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:50 pm

My son is 9yrold and his penis was often turning blue-purple and it was later discovered that he was getting episodes of priapism and I was not aware that erections that last longer than 1 hour can strangle the penis causing it to look blue. I think you should take him to a urologist if he is getting long lasting erections. I was ignorant and thought this was just a normal thing for him.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us