Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 3 month old with knot in upper stomach

ashley86 - Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:49 pm

i have a 3 month old and today i noticed he has a knot in his upper stomach somewaht between his ribs. It does not move when i touch it. The only time i am able to feel it is when his stomach is relaxed if it is tight u can not feel it. He also has had a small spittin up problem since birth not sure if it caused from the knot. Is this somethin serious?
thank you ashley
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 am

I wonder if this is just a protrusion of the xyphoid process (the lower end of the sternum). It can be prominent and not a cause for alarm. When your baby sees the doctor for well-child exams, ask about this to be sure but this is my suspicion.