Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 2 yr old with red spots

 lovemy3kids - Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:14 pm

My 2 year old little girl has red spots all over her. She has eczema but this is not like her breakouts, which she hasn't really had in a while. These spots are red circles, not bumps. Her doctor seems to think they are flea bites but no one else in the house has them and I have not seen any fleas in our house. She is constantly scratching. I really don't think they are any kind of bite because they are not raised. They are mostly on her torso and some on her legs. She hasn't had any fever and seems to feel fine, other than the scratching. When her eczema breaks out (which it doesn't that often) it feels like bumps and dry patches so I don't think that this is related to that. I'm just curious if maybe it is an allergic reaction or some kind of skin problem other than the eczema.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 pm

User avatar Hello,

Eczema can present differently at times so you may not rule this out altogether. Try using a thick moisturizing cream like Cetaphyl or Eucerin - the cream in a jar; not the lotion. Apply this a couple of times daily and avoid soap. You can use Lubriderm or Cetaphyl cleanser instead.

Are there any white centers to the red rings? If so it could be ringworm, which is not actually a worm at all, but a fungus which can be treated with antifungal medication over the counter. Scabies is another condition that causes an itchy rash, but usually this is raised and often noticed between the fingers. It is caused by a mite and is transferred person to person.

If you don't get relief, you may need to see a dermatologist when the rash is present so it can be diagnosed properly. If you establish yourself as a patient with a dermatologist, they will usually work you in on short notice when you need to present at a particular time, such as when the rash appears.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us