Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Alkaline Phosphatase level of 1,320 in a 2yr. old

black - Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:52 am

My 2 year old got blood taken and her alkaline phosphatase level was 1,320(normal being30-300). However no other marker was off including the GGT. My doctor is baffled and is not quite sure what is wrong her abdominal ultra sound came up normal and she is now scheduled for an abdominal CT. Should we be worried, or could this be nothing. There is no specialist to go to for a high test result so what steps should we take if any. Thank you, Beth
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 pm

User avatar Hello Black,

This is a very common issue (the part about doctors being stumped by an isolated elevated alkaline phosphatase). Without examining your child I cannot definitively say but I suspect what is going on is a condition called benign transient hyper alkaline phosphatasia, also known as benign transient hyperphosphatasemia. To translate this name, this condition is where the alkaline phosphatase level goes up into the thousands for an unknown reason but is not associated with any significant issues. It typically will come back down with time. Bone x-rays, and really all other tests, should be normal.

Before having the CT done, you may want to talk with your child's doctor about this condition. Your daughter is in the classic age range for this condition (toddlers often have it).

We often call this a "Ulysses syndrome" because upon finding the elevated alk. phos. level, the doctor sets off on a wild goose chase trying to find a reason for it but are unable to find one.

I hope this helps. Keep us updated.