Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 16 yr. old w/ mild asymmetry in temporal horns

kzak4151 - Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:10 am

Dear Dr.
My 16 year old daughter has had a couple MRIs for acute headaches, falls, "zoning out" spells and weak immune system. I have MS and they were checking for possible pediatric MS. She does have tourette's syndrome. 1st MRI - Old ischemic infarct in the righ temporal lobe, 1 cm in medial of right temporal lobe. Dark on T1 and bright on T2. Other doctor said possible enlarged Virchow-Robin space. 2nd MRI - Mild asymmetry in the temporal horns of the lateral ventricles. Should I be worried or is this all normal? Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:28 pm

User avatar Hello Kzak4151,

This is a bit outside my field of expertise but some degree of asymmetry is considered normal. I would recommend you discuss this with a pediatric neurologist to get a more specific answer in our daughter's situation. The neurologist can also help guide evaluation for her headaches and other problems.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us