Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: can rinsing baby bottles in bleach water make baby sick

jlna6919 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:04 pm

my duaghter lives in a small town and every spring they bleach the city water system.
she has been washing and rinsing her sons' baby bottles in this water and I would like to know if this is safe or if it could make him or them sick.
they also drink and eat off dishes rinsed in this water.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Chlorine is regularly added to the drinking water to keep it free of bacteria. In the amounts used, this should not be harmful for the baby. I would not recommend strong solutions of bleach use at home, however. The solution is very dilute when used in drinking water.