Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 16 months hip dysplasia

amel84 - Fri May 01, 2009 11:07 am

My son was diagnosed with hip dysplasia when he was 1 month old.. He had two cast for 12 weeks "closed reduction" then we started with braces for another 2 months.. Things were good after the braces and the doctor told me to stop using the braces and double diaper for another 2 months.. When he was one year old the index was 22 for left and 20 for the right leg .. now after he started walking we took him for an x-ray the doctor said that the index was 26 for the left and 13 for the right and he might need Pelvic osteotomy when he become 2 years old .. Now he is 16 months old.. Should I just wait or can I do something?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:48 pm

User avatar Hello Amel84,

The answer to your question is out of my field of knowledge so I cannot comment directly on how to proceed. I would recommend you seek the evaluation of a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. They are the experts of developmental dysplasia of the hip and will be able to give you the best recommendations about how to proceed.