Question: Gag reflex

citruscentinela - Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:32 am

Hi i'm a 13 year old girl and recently i've noticed that my gag reflecc (or something like that ) has been acting strangely (for the past month or so). it comes and goes, and feels a bit like there's a hair stuck in the back of my throat, not enough to make me gag, it's just unconfortable. Sometimes it gets really bad, so i'm almost gagging and sometimes it goes agway for a few days. I'm wondering what this is?

THanks
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:28 am

Dear citruscentinela,
An exaggerated or hyperactive gag reflex could be the result of a normal physiological process, a disease condition, a phsycological cuase, or a combination of any of these.
Have your doctor have a look, and keep us informed. :)