Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: child head banging

dhocking81 - Thu May 07, 2009 11:44 am

My three year old bangs his head to go to sleep, and also when he wakes up to put himself back to sleep. He has done this since about six months. It was never a problem before, but now he is doing it really hard, so hard he shakes my house. He crawls onto the floor, and bangs his head so hard I feel it in my bedroom. He is now leaving bruises on his forhead, and just the last few days has been getting bloody noses. I do not know if this is from the head banging, but it is really scaring me. I do not know who to go to, what kind of doctor, or if I am just being paranoid.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Tue May 19, 2009 10:57 am

Please get the child to a doctor ASAP. Banging his head like that could cause some brain damage/bleeding on the brain. Do not delay.
There may be an underlying problem going on also. It sounds a little like autism or some other kind of disorder. I would also be concerned that if you do not report this to a doctor someone may accuse you of doing this to him when they see all the bruising.
This situation is very dangerous. Get help now.
Debra Van Ness RN