Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: infant biten by family dog

hopee - Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:36 pm

My 14 month old was biten by our family dog last night. he has a puncture wound on his forehead. and a small scrach on the side of head should i take him to the hospital? :?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:12 am

User avatar Hi hopee,
If your dog is up to date on vaccinations, and the puncture wound is superficial (not deep) cleanse the area and apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment to the site at least a couple of times a day. If you notice any signs or symptoms of infection, redness, swelling etc. have your child evaluated. As for the dog, I will not voice my response.
I hope this was helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us