Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Potty train son to pee standing up

Tull66 - Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:22 am

My 4 year old son is potty trained except that he still pees sitting down. It's not a big deal, but as his dad, I'd like him to start peeing standing up. How can I encouraage him to try it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:05 am

The most obvious way is to do it together. Most little boys want to do whatever their dads do. Without making a big deal of it I would just suggest you casually share the experience. If he doesn't want to join you, fine, but in time he probably will. I think not making a big deal of it is the most important thing. Role models in all things are very powerful for children. Keep it in perspective - he most likely will change sooner than you really want him to since they grow up over night.

Oh, I've also heard of people who encourage boys by dropping a few Cheerios in the bowl and inviting them to "aim."

Good luck