Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 7 year old with possible precocious puberty?

 jelly19 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:47 am

My daughter is 7 and has had some signs of puberty since the age of 5. She developed body odors in the armpits and a vaginal discharge. She saw an endocrinologist at 6 and when she began developing breast. She had some blood work and bone scans, the blood test were slightly abnormal, though the bone scans were okay. The doctor opted for no further treatment, unless more signs developed.
The symptoms that have developed since then are, breast tissue has grown and areolas are large, small acne like bumps on forehead and nose, excess sweating, she has put on 20 pounds in one year and gets winded easily, she has 5-10 long dark pubic hairs, yeast infections, and she has been having mood swings lately. She has never been one to tear up over the slightest thing but she crys so much and seems near tears quite often, and other times she is so touchy and testy that she screams and gets angry over small stuff. I went through precocious puberty many years ago, and the emotional roller coaster of not being able to fully understand what was happening to me caused me emotional pain and low self esteem. Please help me figure out the best thing to do for my daughter.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is a growing concern and environmental estrogens are suspected. I would recommend you either return to the endocrinologist or find another to get a second opinion. Treatment is available and it is important for your daughter's health and well-being. Definitely follow up until you feel satisfied.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us