Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: H1N1 prevention for a 2 month old

Swinefluparanoid - Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:05 pm

I've been doing a lot of reading about H1N1, and it's making me really nervous for the safety of my 2 month old baby. He is exclusively breast-fed, but the CDC website said that doesn't necessarily fully protect him. The vaccine isn't currently available in my area, so neither I (a stay-at-home mom) nor my husband (a public middle- and high- school teacher) have received it. I discovered in my research that people with H1N1 are contagious 1 day before they have any symptoms, and continue to be contagious for 8 days after the onset. Should I be isolating him from people who work in service industries, school-age children, etc? My sister works in a grocery store, my father in a bar, my mother with young children, and there are 13 school-age children in my husband's family that can't be relied on to be well (or to practice proper sick etiquette if they aren't) at family gatherings. I'm considering avoiding Thanksgiving dinner with them. Am I being too cautious? I need some guidance. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Breastfeeding exclusively is the best protection you can give your child. It may not be perfect but it is the closest thing you will find. If those around you get the recommended flu vaccines themselves, this will also improve your odds for avoiding this flu. Using good handwashing techniques can also help since you don't always know who is coming down with flu. Also, using disposable tissues and general health consciousness such as coughing and sneezing into elbows can also reduce risk. Try to enjoy your baby and your family without being overly concerned since the risk is not that great.