Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: My daughter's elevated WBC and Platelet count

momoffive - Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

I have a 12 year old daughter who is going to seek guidance and treatment at a pediatric preventive cardiology and metabolic clinic at the Cleveland Clinic as her triglycerides is 261, HDL is 30, VLDL is 52 and she weighs in the mid 140's (she is 5'2 1/4). She hadn't eaten for more than 12 hours before the bloodwork was taken. We hope to treat her cholesterol and weight issues with a nutrition and exercise plan through the medical team at the Clinic as I have been unsuccessful in helping her at home.
I was concerned by the numbers I saw with her blood count results, which were mailed to me by her pediatrician. Her white blood count was 10.07 (the range is 3.84-9.84) and her platelet count is 407 (the range is 150-400). Should I be concerned at all that her numbers are above the norm, however slight. Again she hadn't eaten in more than 12 hours prior to the blood draw.
As a baby, my daughter was tested for leukemia (and thankfully was cleared) because she had an elevated wbc during her first year. I am a bit concerned now because I haven't seen any issue with her blood count since then and I do have a two and a half year old niece who is undergoing treatment for JAK2 and polycythemia vera.
I appreciate any feedback you can provide me.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:52 pm

User avatar Hello Momoffive,

I would not be concerned about either of these numbers. Neither of them is high enough to be significantly outside the normal range. If she is otherwise well I would not typically even recommend rechecking these to see if they come down.