Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Mumps?

zookeeper08 - Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:01 am

My 9 year old son has what I suspect may be mumps. Monday night he showed me that the gland behind/under his left ear was swollen and sore. Today, Wednesday, it's now very swollen, and the one on the right is just a bit swollen. The left one is painful when touched. His tonsils are also quite swollen, and have white spots. He has no fever.

Without health insurance, I really can't take him in to the doctor unless I really have to. So far, Tylenol Jr. has done alright at alleviating the pain.

Since I'm sure you're wondering, yes, he was vaccinated. He got one dose of the MMR, when he was 6 years old.

I remember having the mumps when I was young, (for me, it was not very painful, didn't even go to the doctor -- I was the youngest of 6 kids and my mom knew what it was)
except that I had to miss school....and my son's on spring break this week! So, I'm inclined to not worry about it, just help him be more comfortable and wait it out.

Is it likely to be the mumps? If so, is there anything other than the Tylenol that would help him feel better? And how long should I expect it to take before the swelling is on it's way down? If not mumps, then what???

Thanks,

Karen
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:03 pm

Dear Karen,
It's best you go see a doctor.
I'm afraid I cannot comfort you with you giving me a very 'uncomfortable' description of his condition.
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it's best you go see a doctor. It looks to me like some bacterial infection that would at least require the prescription of an antibiotic.