Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: can just a cold show up in the eye

turner4 - Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 am

My three year old has a cold and is taking cold medicine but last night he started to have a lot of goo in his left eye. I am wondering if it is just the cold or more?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Infection (viral or bacterial) can settle in the eye without causing other symptoms. Sometimes people will say they have a "cold in the eye." If it is caused by bacteria treatment may be needed with antibiotic drops. Sometimes it will clear on its own, especially if it is viral in nature, and you can just use warm moist washcloths to clear the gunk out. Use gentle strokes from the inside to outside aspect of they eye lids.