Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 3 year old daughter - hx febrile seizures, erratic temp

 shelwriter - Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:54 pm

After receiving the MMR vaccination, our 18-month old daughter began having what has been classified as grand mal febrile seizures. She's had many. At least 10 - 15 of them. We've also noticed that she has focal seizures as well.

During many of these seizures doctors could not find anything wrong with her or a reason for her fevers. Her temperature was always erratic. We went through 7 thermometers of all types because we thought they were broken. One second her temp would be 102.3, a minute later it would be 101.7, the next minute it would be 99.7, then would jump back up to 101.5, etc. This occurred each and every time she had a seizure. We kept telling her pediatrician but he seemed to ignore us. This is our 3rd child - we are NOT hysterical parents.

Our pediatrician at the time finally sent her for an evaluation with a neurologist where she had a CT and an EEG. The results came back inconclusive and the neurologist suggested we put her on anit-seizure medication. We declined.

She experienced the worst seizure the day before Thanksgiving November 2008. It lasted 20 minutes. At the emergency room, the doctors could not find any reason for her fever. Again, she was given a rocephin shot and put on oral antibiotics.

We had had enough and we stopped taking her to the doctor. We remained hypervigilant to her temperature for several months and started letting her body fight it's own infections. She got sick, but had no seizures. Her body temperature when she had fevers was what I would consider normal. It would rise slowly and drop slowly.

Last Monday while she was at daycare, she had another seizure while outside playing. This was her first seizure in over 1 1/2 years. I took her home after she became more aware of her surroundings (took about 45 minutes) and she slept for 3 hours. When she woke up she had fever of about 101.8. I gave her a dose of Motrin and she immediately threw it up. I wasn't going to take her in to see a doctor or anything, but it was suggested by a friend that I take her in since she hadn't had a seizure in so long and wasn't able to hold down the meds.

I took her to the ER where she had 103 fever. They tried to give her Tyelonol orally but she promptly threw it up. They gave her a suppository. It took 3 hours for her temperature to return to normal. Then an hour later it started shooting back up again. They ran a chest x-ray (clear) and did a BMP blood work. Her WBC was a little elevated. Her throat, nose, ears, eyes were clear. They sent us home with a recommendation to follow up with our PCP. They gave me a 650 mg tylenol suppository to use that night (cut in half for each dose). I gave her half and it took the second half four hours later before her temperature went down to normal.

The next day at our PCP, our daughter had a fever of 101.9 and the doctor remarked that she didn't seem sick. She was talkative, alert, awake, moving, jumping up and down, happy. The doctor also noted how long it took for her temperature to lower when we were at the ER the previous evening. The doctor discovered a red throat and white pus pockets. Ran a strep test (negative) and said she had pharyngitis and gave her a shot of Rocephin and a prescription of Cefdini 250 mg which she has been taking twice daily 1/2 tsp.

By Tuesday night, her fever was gone. Kept her home Wednesday and she was great. Anxious to go back to school. Wednesday night I checked on her and she was sleeping on top of her coverlet, sweating profusely. Her temp was 94.6.

She returned to daycare today (Thursday) and was fine all day until she woke up from her nap. She had a temperature. The daycare worker took her temperature in both ears and got two varied readings. 99.9 Right ear and 97.5 in the left. They gave her Tylenol and I picked her up. They checked her temperature again and it was 99.7 in the right ear and 89.9 in the left ear. I called the doctor and they wanted to see her today.

They're running tests to check out her thyroid and pitituitary glands. and the doctor mentioned something about a calcium test??? I'm waiting on these results. They're also setting up a referral to send her to a pediatric endocrinologist.

Tonight she seemed fine, but then started complaining about her throat hurting. I gave her a cool drink of juice and left the room. (It was bedtime) A few minutes later I heard her whimpering and when I checked on her she threw up. She then complained about her head hurting. Her fever was completely erratic, 101.6 to 99.9 to 100.3 and back down again. I gave her a suppository of tylenol and am waiting to see what happens through the night.

If you read this far - - - you are too kind.

What kinds of things could the doctor be looking for by doing these tests and sending our daughter to a pediatric endocrinologist?
What type of questions do I need to be asking?
What should we know in advance?

Special Note: I took Brethine during my 2nd and 3rd trimester. She was 4 weeks early and breech (I have a septum that divides my uterus).
Special Note 2: Her father had febrile seizures.
Special Note 3: She is in the 99th percentile. Age 3, 49.8 pounds and over 3 feet tall. I forgot how much exactly. She's not fat. Has a lot of energy. Has trouble falling asleep, Eats well and a lot.
 shelwriter - Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm

UPDATE: Daughter's records {2 dr. visits to current dr because I changed dr's when her previous pediatrian wasn't taking me seriously} were sent to the Pediatric Endocrinologist and they refuse to see her and say that there isn't enough information to warrant a visit.

Her current physician suggests that we wait until she gets sick again and send THOSE reports over to the pediatric endocrinologist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us