Question: 2yr old with lump on back of neck

gideonmommy - Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 am

My son is 2 1/2 and I noticed the other day that he has a small lump on the back left side of his neck. It's below the hair line more in the area you would do a back rub. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it but it really freaks me out. I'm in Korea and we have limited medical care here so I do have a doctors appt for him but I still don't know if they would be able to figure it out. Any advice or input you might have would really be appreciated. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Of course a health care provider would need to examine this for a diagnosis but it is possible it could be a lipoma or fatty tumor. These are harmless. usually soft, movable, and painless. Without pain and signs of infection you are probably fine to watch and wait, asking about it when you are able to see a doctor.