Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 14 yrs old left shoulder lighter than normal skin color

lovely16 - Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Im 14 yrs old and on my left shoulder I have lighter than my skin tone blotches. I havent been in the sun in a couple weeks and just noticed them yesterday. What are they?? Could it be cancerous or life threatening??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 am

User avatar Hello Lovely16,This is most likely to be tinea versicolor which leads to discoloration of skin.This is cause by a yeast like organism and can occur on the chest,shoulder etc.This is common where there is high humidity.Decreased immunity has a role to play here.
This condition responds to external application like canesten.There is nothing to worry.Also you may be advised to take food rich in Bcarotene.
A doctor would be able to confirm the diagnosis and also to rule out other conditions like vitiligo.
Bestwishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us