Question: 14 yrs old left shoulder lighter than normal skin color

lovely16 - Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Im 14 yrs old and on my left shoulder I have lighter than my skin tone blotches. I havent been in the sun in a couple weeks and just noticed them yesterday. What are they?? Could it be cancerous or life threatening??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 am

User avatar Hello Lovely16,This is most likely to be tinea versicolor which leads to discoloration of skin.This is cause by a yeast like organism and can occur on the chest,shoulder etc.This is common where there is high humidity.Decreased immunity has a role to play here.
This condition responds to external application like canesten.There is nothing to worry.Also you may be advised to take food rich in Bcarotene.
A doctor would be able to confirm the diagnosis and also to rule out other conditions like vitiligo.
Bestwishes.