Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: jaw pain with swimmers ear?

 thawk4156 - Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm

i have swimmers ear, and my jaw also hurts on that side. is that normal?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, pain can be referred and cause the whole side of the face to hurt. For comfort, try a warm pad or washcloth, take acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain and lie with the sore side up. If there is no oozing fluid or pus and your doctor is OK with it you can put a few drops of warm, not hot, oil (such as olive or vegetable) in the ear and there are some prescription pain relieving drops if this doesn't do the job. Try to keep water out of the ear.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us