Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 6 weeks old with cough

kalexac - Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:00 pm

My 6 weeks old daughter has a cough with phlegm. She does not have fever, and she is eating well. She coughs after she burps and when she is laying in her crib. Should I be worried? What can I do to help her?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Sometimes the membranes are dry and she might benefit from a little extra humidity in the room to help loosen the secretions but it is normal for her to cough in order to get rid of normal secretions. If she has trouble expelling this, you could try a drop or two of normal saline nose drops for babies.