Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 2yr old with red puffy nipple-no lump under tissue

worriedmama - Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:54 pm

My 2 year old daughter has a slightly inflamed nipple on the left side of her body. The right nipple looks normal. I first noticed the nipple 4 days ago. Since then it hasn't changed in appearance. She says it doesn't hurt and doesn't seem to be affected by it, so I don't thing it is irritating or itchy. I have looked at it closely and can't find any scratches or cuts which may cause the inflammation. When touched it feels the same as the right side, except for possibly a little rough. She has no history of rashes or disease.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:49 am

User avatar Hello,
In most cases this is a temporary enlargement of the breast bud - harmless and temporary. Of course there can be infection as well but without pain it is unlikely and a rare event in children. I suspect this will go away on its own. If not, discuss it at the next well child exam.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us