Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 2yr old with red puffy nipple-no lump under tissue

worriedmama - Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:54 pm

My 2 year old daughter has a slightly inflamed nipple on the left side of her body. The right nipple looks normal. I first noticed the nipple 4 days ago. Since then it hasn't changed in appearance. She says it doesn't hurt and doesn't seem to be affected by it, so I don't thing it is irritating or itchy. I have looked at it closely and can't find any scratches or cuts which may cause the inflammation. When touched it feels the same as the right side, except for possibly a little rough. She has no history of rashes or disease.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:49 am

In most cases this is a temporary enlargement of the breast bud - harmless and temporary. Of course there can be infection as well but without pain it is unlikely and a rare event in children. I suspect this will go away on its own. If not, discuss it at the next well child exam.