Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: 2 year old with a fever and projectile vomiting

Mother1993 - Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:09 pm

My 2 year old little girl has been getting up at night and projectile vomiting, at least once a night, her fever has reached 100, and she is listless. She has a runny nose and complains of stomach pains during the day, she feels a little hot, but not with a bad fever, but at night it all gets worse... I am concerned and I would like some more information on what I should do. I know that I am keeping her hydrated but what else can I do?
Should I use a cold rag or cold water on her neck and forehead?
what kind of medication should I give her?
is there anything I can do about her throwing up?
is it bad that she is better in the day and gets much worse at night?
should I take her to the doctor or hospital?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:59 am

Projectile vomiting and fever are causes for concern and she should see a doctor. Children can become dehydrated quickly and you need to find out the cause for the vomiting if it is not just a 24 hour "bug". So if it persists take her to a clinic, hospital or doctor's office.