Question: 4 year old with lump under her breast

RoseyAnn - Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:47 pm

My daughter is 4 yrs. old. When I was getting her ready for bed tonight I felt that she had a lump directly under her breast. Please can you give some insight to as what it might be. I plan on taking her into the docor tomorrow, but right now I'm really scared.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:24 pm

Dear RoseyAnn,
This is probably nothing, your accidental discovery of it doesn't mean it hasn't been there for a long time, may be even since birth.
There's nothing to worry about really. Cancer is almost out of the question, if that's what you're thinking.
And since you haven't mentioned the presence of fever, redness or inflammation of her breast, then I assume it's not an abscess either. This is probably just a benign overgrowth of breast tissue.
But do go see your doctor tomorrow, someone has to have a close look, at least to document the lump size and folow up if it's growing or not.