Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: latrine problem

goldy.calling - Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Sir my kid is 1 and a half year old. At the time of latrine pressure he has shows painful expressions and begun to cry. we are facing this since 2 months. pls help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:16 pm

I think you are describing straining to pass a stool. This is fairly common. Please be sure your child is getting fiber in his diet and plenty of water to drink. Dehydration will result in dry, hard-to-pass feces. Fiber is found in whole fruits and vegetables, beans and whole grains. If these measures don't help, you should discuss this with his health care provider in case a mild laxative is needed but in most cases normal stool can be achieved with diet, liquids and activity. At his age, I suspect activity is not a problem.