Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: latrine problem

goldy.calling - Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Sir my kid is 1 and a half year old. At the time of latrine pressure he has shows painful expressions and begun to cry. we are facing this since 2 months. pls help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
I think you are describing straining to pass a stool. This is fairly common. Please be sure your child is getting fiber in his diet and plenty of water to drink. Dehydration will result in dry, hard-to-pass feces. Fiber is found in whole fruits and vegetables, beans and whole grains. If these measures don't help, you should discuss this with his health care provider in case a mild laxative is needed but in most cases normal stool can be achieved with diet, liquids and activity. At his age, I suspect activity is not a problem.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us