Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Pulsing in leg PLEASE READ, I HAVE A VIDEO.

cyanide_sunshine - Tue May 10, 2005 11:28 am

http://www.geocities.com/fuma69/IMAG0001.ASF

I am a 17 year old who's veins pulse ridiculously in my leg or back , like there is a clot or something.

This happens under periods of stress or when I'm tired.

But I think its when I eat something...

2 honeydew melon slices
1 glass of orange juice
Bread and Honey
2 Plain sugar donuts
1 cup pears

It started right after I ate. It feels like a spasm. Its above the patella and my leg is elevated in the picture. Sorry the vid is so long but its the best one I have.

I don't know if it is DVT or peripheral neuropathy or what.

Anytime I go to the doc it never happens.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue May 10, 2005 6:58 pm

Dear Cyanide_sunshine,

i believe you are interested in Medicine? :) .... i just want to tell you that a DVT almost always happens in the Calf muscles...your calf muscles become swollen,tender, red and very painful..... we compare the size of the affected leg(calf) to the other leg.

I have watched your video..Thank you for the illustration . I don't think that this is a pulsating vein...It's a muscle twitch.... increase in the electrical activity of the muscle... it can happen spontaneously with no reason as well. I don't think that this is something to be concerned about.

how frequent does it happen and how does it bother you?

Best regards
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun May 15, 2005 7:23 am

Dear cyanide_sunshine,
I agree this is a muscle twitch, I've seen the video.
Like you said, it occurs with increased stress and muscle fatigue.
We all get them at times, no need to worry! :D

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us