Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Pulsing in leg PLEASE READ, I HAVE A VIDEO.

cyanide_sunshine - Tue May 10, 2005 11:28 am

http://www.geocities.com/fuma69/IMAG0001.ASF

I am a 17 year old who's veins pulse ridiculously in my leg or back , like there is a clot or something.

This happens under periods of stress or when I'm tired.

But I think its when I eat something...

2 honeydew melon slices
1 glass of orange juice
Bread and Honey
2 Plain sugar donuts
1 cup pears

It started right after I ate. It feels like a spasm. Its above the patella and my leg is elevated in the picture. Sorry the vid is so long but its the best one I have.

I don't know if it is DVT or peripheral neuropathy or what.

Anytime I go to the doc it never happens.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue May 10, 2005 6:58 pm

Dear Cyanide_sunshine,

i believe you are interested in Medicine? :) .... i just want to tell you that a DVT almost always happens in the Calf muscles...your calf muscles become swollen,tender, red and very painful..... we compare the size of the affected leg(calf) to the other leg.

I have watched your video..Thank you for the illustration . I don't think that this is a pulsating vein...It's a muscle twitch.... increase in the electrical activity of the muscle... it can happen spontaneously with no reason as well. I don't think that this is something to be concerned about.

how frequent does it happen and how does it bother you?

Best regards
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun May 15, 2005 7:23 am

Dear cyanide_sunshine,
I agree this is a muscle twitch, I've seen the video.
Like you said, it occurs with increased stress and muscle fatigue.
We all get them at times, no need to worry! :D