Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: my 4 year old won't poop in potty

mstephanie86 - Sat May 14, 2005 3:13 pm

help... my 4 year old son won't poop in the potty... he will only go in a diaper... he has been peeing in the potty for a long time now... i don't understand why he can't poop.. he has tried several times but says when he sits on the potty it won't come out.. he does not wear a diaper around at all... he will tell me when he has to poop and i will put one on him... his regular pediatritian told me to just completely take the diapers away... i tried that but then he went without pooping for several days.. i don't think thats an alternative... is this common in children his age? i'm very concerned and don't know what to do about this problem... please help me
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun May 15, 2005 1:22 pm

Dear mstephanie86,
There's no need to worry at all! It's very common for children to go back to what they feel most comfortable with, long after they seem to have learnt and established a habit.
Could be out of fear or stress or even a sort of retaliation, but when they start doing that, it's important to just back off. May be he needs more time.
So long as there is no pain causing him to withhold, then there's nothing to worry about. He'll come around to using the potty when he's ready.