Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Facial Bluish Discoloration of 2 year old child when crying

bluebudgee - Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:02 pm

I would like to ask if it is normal for a child ( 30 months) to turn blue when she cries or startled? I would like to know if how does it happen and is it dangerous?
 Jennifer R.N. - Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:38 pm

I guess it's possible. The only reason a person turns blue in the face is if theyre not getting enough oxygen to they're blood. How long does it last and has he ever passed out? I guess as long as his airway isn't closed or anything the worst thing that would happen is he would pass out and then start breathing again. Is he just crying so hard that he's not getting enough air? That sounds like it's probably it. If you're really worried I would talk to your pediatrician. It never hurts to get they're opinion. :)