Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: DESMOID TUMORS removed, now lump on ribcage

trinz - Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi, im really hoping you can give me some answers. My 10 year old son has a history of desmoids in right thigh, 3 have been removed succesfully and he has full movement again. 12 months ago he complainrd of sore back on left side and a visual lump was seen an x ray was done which said
small deformity of left 10th rib and soft tissue density to the right of 7th and 8th rib only seen on frontal views and cant be confirmed. We were referred back to my sons specialist who ordered CT scan, MRI, Bone scan all of which showed nothing (took 3 MRIs to pick up last desmoid in thigh). Doctors say most probably another desmoid they can see it visual but because nothing showing there is nothing they can do. It has now got larger and is also visible from the front of his stomack (rib) as well. He is in considerable pain in his back and stomach and his physical excerise is becoming nill as it hursts to even bend. Before he got this lump his walking was extremly deformed due to desmoid in leg and i thought maybe it was muscular due to his walking. Does muscular pain show as a lump, what shows on x rays but not MRI. He also has numbness and pins and needles down leg onnsame side. Please give me some answers or questions to ask specialist. thanks so much
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:36 am

CTs and MRIs are much more specific than coneventional X-ray films, so I find it quite puzzling that they have not been able to detect the lump/mass.
Anyhow, it seems the mass you're describing is compressing some nerve becuase of the feeling of pain, tingling and numbness. I suggest you repeat the MRI if possible and may be consult a second opinion.