Question: Skin rash and fever lasting days

justrache - Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:14 pm

My son has had a fever now for 6 days. I took him to doctor 2 days ago said it was a viral infection. The next day he broke out in a rash all over his body (except his face).The spots don't seem to be chicken pox (not crusting over) and seem to fade and reappear in another part of his body. He also hasn't eaten in 5 days,but is drinking.

Any help would be appreciated
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:53 am

Well, Roseola is known to cause a rash which usually spares the face, but it would be difficult to be sure unless the skin lesions are examined.
It is caused by a virus, and there is no antiviral treatment yet available for it. It is a self-limited disease which usually leaves no sequelae or scarring.
If, however, the fever becomes uncontrollable, or your child is not feeding and drinking well, he may need to be hospitalized for a few days.