Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: infant abuse?

lilysuzanne - Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:46 pm

I recently caught my mother in law clapping loudly, very close to my one month old infants face. it seemed odd and she gave no explanation. I s this abuse?Did she do any harm?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:49 am

User avatar Hi lilysuzanne,
I would certainly ask for an explaination from her regarding her behavior. As for any damage, no other than probably startling the baby by the noise. Again I would ask her for an explaination and unless she had a logical one (which I would be unable to think of at this time) I would ask her to not repeat those sort of actions again.......
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 lilysuzanne - Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:42 pm

thank you, I've been reading about brain development and LI response. I will trust my instincts and monitor her around my baby.She is not a big fan of mine. I hope other women trust their instincts, instead of second guessing themselves.Unfortunately child abuse will be around for a long time.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us