Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Persistent Swollen Lymphnodes

dancer5 - Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi, I'm a 17 year old female. For the past 6 months i have had extremly enlarged lymphnodes. I first was told to watch them for about 2 - 3 months when i first found small hard lumps under my jaw that i could move. I waited and more nodes grew bigger. I had an ultrasound done and the largest lymphnode reached a size of over 2 centimeters. I was then referred to get a needle biopsy which came back negative for cancer and hodgkins disease. My lymphnodes have not got any smaller in this time period, and i have appeared to be perfectly healthy. I am very frustrated because i don't want to find out too late that there is something wrong. Do you have any idea' s or possibilities of why this is happening and what else i can do? Thank you so much.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:25 am

Certain lab tests are usually done to exclude the possibility of certain microorganisms causing this.
If these were done and came back negative while the lymph nodes continue to enlarge, then you may wish to discuss the possibilty of having an excisional lymph node biopsy.
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:13 pm

question: does the lumps feel sore? because i might have the same symptoms right now as we speak, but i have not gotten it checked yet. we might not though, as i just recovered from a sore throat, but i have a sore lump under the right portion of my jaw where the pulse is usually taken.