Question: mrsa in daughters ear

cori - Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:26 pm

my 2year and 9 month old daughter has had tubes since nov. 2004. She has since had around 6 ear infections. This time when it occured I took her to an ent and he cultured it and it was positive for mrsa. She has had chronic swollen lymph nodes and glands in the back of her throat. She is currently on Tobramy drops but to put in her ears. and just finished augmentin. Now my question is... I thought the only way to get rid of mrsa was by iv antibiotics. How are they going to treat her..... and are there any severe complications?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:27 am

User avatar Hi cori,
Medications ineffective in treating MRSA are methicillin, amoxicillin, penicillin, etc. Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate) will most likely not show improvement in symptoms. Generally speaking, this infection is treated with IV Vancomycin. Proper handwashing is important to prevent spread.