Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: need advice please

 rhosmithshopping - Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:18 pm

Our 2 1/2 year old son presented to our local ER with a post-tonsillar bleed. The ER physician did not examine our son in any way, made inappropriate, judgemental, unprofessional comments to my husband during the visit and sent us home telling us he was fine. Approximately six hours later he was rused into emergency surgery in critical condition with a heart rate of 176 and subsequently required a blood transfusion. We have spoken to an attorney who says we definitely have a negligence case but the first hurdle is to find a doctor who will be willing to stand up and say what should have been done and that what this ER doctor did put our son in danger. This seems to me like trying to find a needle in a haystack. How can I ever find a doctor who will be willing to basically "bad mouth" another doctor. Why would anyone who does not know me from Joe or know my son want to involve himself/herself into this situation? Do you have any ideas how or where I can find a physician who might be willing to help us? We do not want this to ever happen to another family. These were the most horrific moments we have ever experienced. We are in Washington State. Thanks for your time.
 Michele P, RN - Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:13 pm

It is for your attorney to prove neglect, not for you to find a doctor to say that.

The lawyer needs to get documentation of how your son was received by the surgeon & have the records pulled of your visit to the ER to show what actions were taken prior to his needing to return in that condition.

If I were you, I would seek out another lawyer's opinion instead of looking for a doctor. A new view might have a better idea on how to approach that.

Good Luck

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us