Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: old wives tale or true?

lilysuzanne - Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:15 pm

Is it beneficial to add gelatin and yeast to infant formula? If so why?
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 pm

User avatar I have not heard of that and would not try that until you consult with your pediatrician...............Angela,RN
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:59 pm

lilysuzanne wrote:Is it beneficial to add gelatin and yeast to infant formula? If so why?

They say that it helps with better digestion for the baby's stomach but I personally do not see the need for it.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:25 pm

User avatar I would agree it is not nessesary.....and I would even question problems down the road for these little ones. I will ask around and get some M.D thoughts on this.................Angela,RN
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:41 pm

nurseinwi wrote:I would agree it is not nessesary.....and I would even question problems down the road for these little ones. I will ask around and get some M.D thoughts on this.................Angela,RN

We once had a child in the ER at my facility whom the parent stated she gave the Brewer's yeast/gelatin combo to every morning because she was told that it helps with ADD. I also read at that time that some are saying it helps with Autism.

I agree with neither.

That child was admitted with a bacterial infection & secondary yeast infection in the mouth, making it impossible to swallow on his own because it hurt him so badly.

With all due respect for those herbal followers, I wouldnt suggest yeast in a bottle. To me, that is for stew & bread lol.
 lilysuzanne - Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:57 pm

thank you, thank you, thank you and my little man thanks you, but he doesn't know it yet.
 Angela Grunewald, RN - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:11 pm

User avatar you are very welcome, I hope we were able to help......Angela,RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us