Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/9/2017.

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Blue toenails

Kingdom - Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:00 am

My four year old son has 10 very blue toenails. My GP has never seen this and can't advise. He has had a loose stool for about two weeks - not sure if this has coincided exactly with the nails. I think we noticed the nails before the loose stool.

Thanks
 Michele P, RN - Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:57 pm

Kingdom wrote:My four year old son has 10 very blue toenails. My GP has never seen this and can't advise. He has had a loose stool for about two weeks - not sure if this has coincided exactly with the nails. I think we noticed the nails before the loose stool. Thanks

The only thing that I can think that would cause blue toenails is cyanosis, but you didnt list any of the other symptoms that might go w/ that.

Cyanosis is caused by a lack of oxygen in the blood. It can be associated w/cold temperatures, heart failure, lung diseases, being smothered, & is seen in infants at birth as a result of heart defects, respiratory distress syndrome, or lung & breathing problems.

The blue discoloration is seen mostly in the beds of the fingernails,toenails, the lips & tongue.

Low blood oxygen may be caused by poor blood circulation, or heart or breathing problems. It can also be caused by being in a low-oxygen environment or by carbon monoxide poisoning. Cyanosis also may be caused by poisoning from chemicals, drugs, or contaminated food & water.

I do not think that the loose stool is associated w/the toenails in any way. Anytime there is a skin/nail discoloration, all the above that I stated (things to do with breathing & circulation) are normally the 1st thought.

I would get another opinion or ask your GP to run some standard labwork

Best of luck :)

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us