Medical Specialty >> Pediatrics

Question: Blue toenails

Kingdom - Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:00 am

My four year old son has 10 very blue toenails. My GP has never seen this and can't advise. He has had a loose stool for about two weeks - not sure if this has coincided exactly with the nails. I think we noticed the nails before the loose stool.

Michele P, RN - Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:57 pm

Kingdom wrote:My four year old son has 10 very blue toenails. My GP has never seen this and can't advise. He has had a loose stool for about two weeks - not sure if this has coincided exactly with the nails. I think we noticed the nails before the loose stool. Thanks

The only thing that I can think that would cause blue toenails is cyanosis, but you didnt list any of the other symptoms that might go w/ that.

Cyanosis is caused by a lack of oxygen in the blood. It can be associated w/cold temperatures, heart failure, lung diseases, being smothered, & is seen in infants at birth as a result of heart defects, respiratory distress syndrome, or lung & breathing problems.

The blue discoloration is seen mostly in the beds of the fingernails,toenails, the lips & tongue.

Low blood oxygen may be caused by poor blood circulation, or heart or breathing problems. It can also be caused by being in a low-oxygen environment or by carbon monoxide poisoning. Cyanosis also may be caused by poisoning from chemicals, drugs, or contaminated food & water.

I do not think that the loose stool is associated w/the toenails in any way. Anytime there is a skin/nail discoloration, all the above that I stated (things to do with breathing & circulation) are normally the 1st thought.

I would get another opinion or ask your GP to run some standard labwork

Best of luck :)