Question: Amitriptyline

skeb_nz - Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:51 pm

Hi. I'm 19 yr old female. I have been getting migraine like headaches daily, between 2 and 15 a day, averaging at 8. The pain is around 5 to 8 on a 1-10 scale, though a few times a week I get 9's. My doctor has put me on Amitriptyline which I am about to start. However, when I came home and shared what happened at the doctor with my parents, Dad (who used to be an air force medic) was not happy. I was told that Amitriptyline can cause drowsyness and I want to know to what degree. I know I have to take them to find out to what degree it will affect me but can you give me an idea of how bad it could be, and any other side effecys of the medication. I am a serious university student and don't want it to effect my studies. It is really just seeing whether I should put up with the headaches or be drowsy. Thanks for your help.
 DeLWolcott - Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:18 pm

Elavil is generally used as an anti-depressant, although it is sometimes used for pain or to help with sleep. Considering your college status, age and your need to be alert as much as possible, I would ask if there is another medication you can try that won't have so many possible sedating effects.