Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/5/2017.

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Diet Pills

Ali522 - Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:48 pm

Hi, I'm a 20 year old, in college, i'm not overweight but I'm looking to lose weight fast. I'm about 5 ft and I weigh abt 125 pounds, I wanna weigh about 110 pounds. I've been researching diet pills and I've found that many of them contain caffeine and ephedra, I see these have very negative side effects. I want a safe diet pill that doesn't contain anything harmful. I was reading about something called MeltRx 24 Ultra, it says it doesnt have ephedra or caffeine, it has "natural herbs". I was wondering if this is safe, also do you recommend any other safe pills. Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:10 pm

User avatar Dear Ali,

Although your body mass index is normal, may be it is not a bad idea to lose a few pounds. If your weight becomes 110 pounds, your body mass index will still be normal.

Weight (like everything) is a balance between intake and output, so if you want to lose, increase output and decrease intake and vice versa.

i don't have a personal experience with such products and the product that you mentioned is said to make the person who takes not feel hungry after eating a small amount of food (decrease intake) and at the same time burns more fat (increase output) so the person loses weight.

It does not contain ephedra, so it should be safer than other pills but there is nothing without risks and side effects. The problem with some of these products is that one is not sure whether or not they are fda tested or approved and i think that the companies that make them are not required to report any side effects that arise from these products. And i am not sure if they keep track of any side effect that arise or not.

Regarding other diet pills, the ones that ephedra free are the ones that should be used.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Onebutterfly - Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:35 pm

Hi Ali522,

Have you taken this MeltRX 24 diet pill yet? I am thinking about taking it and would like to know about your experience with this pill.

Thanks,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us