Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Pill question

Michaela521 - Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:12 pm

Hello I am currently taking propecia (finasteride) for hairloss. I also take many other pills like vitamin a, e, c , b and other pills like ginko biloba, zoloft, ginseng, multivitamin, beta carotene, and saw palmetto. I think that is it. I was wondering if it would be better for me to split up taking all of these pills throughout the day instead of taking all at once for better absorption into the body. It would obviously be more conveniant if I can just take them all at once though but if it is better to split up all the meds then I will do that. Thank you.:cool:
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:45 pm

From a medical point of view, you are overdosing yourself with vitamins.

Vitamins are used for the prevention and treatment of specific deficiency states or where the diet is known to be inadequate.
The use of vitamins as general "pick-me-ups" is of unproven value and in the case of preparations containing Vitamin A or D, may actually be harmful if more than the prescribed dose is taken.

The "fad" for mega-vitamin therapy as shown by your intake is unscientific and can be harmful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Michaela521 - Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks I guess I will cut down on the vitamins. Do you still think it would be better to take different pills at different times of the day or can I take them all at once. Thanks again for you help.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:44 pm

For prescription medications, take as advised by your physician or the pharmacist.

Where multiple medications are indicated, it is reasonable to space them out to prevent gastrointestinal side-effects.

Dr Anthony Solomon

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us