Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: Am I eligible to take Phentermine?

Palakika - Sun May 30, 2004 10:17 pm

I am 5'8" and weigh 190-195 lbs. I want to lose all my belly, thighs, arm and back fat. I have quite a bit of muscle and believe I'm somewhere around 33-40% body fat. Is it safe for me to take Phentermine?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon May 31, 2004 1:58 am

User avatar Phentermine is one of the prescription drugs approved by the FDA for weight loss. These drugs are not magic pills, they don't work unless you make dietary and exercise changes. FDA approved the drugs only for use with calorie-restricted diets.

Phentermine should be used only for a few weeks. Also, these drugs should be used only in people who are obese--not people looking to lose a few pounds.

One reason for using these drugs for a limited period is that the drugs are addictive and have the potential for abuse. Another is that the drugs have serious side effects, including high blood pressure and sleep disturbances. Also, certain drugs are not advised for people with certain medical conditions, such as phentermine for people with heart disease or high blood pressure, and fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine for people taking certain anti-depressants.

Please visit our Nutritional Center for more info.
 Palakika - Mon May 31, 2004 6:39 am

I am 5'8" and weigh 190-195 lbs.. I want to lose about 20-30 lbs. Is this considered just a few lbs or do you think Phentermine can hekp me?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon May 31, 2004 7:06 am

User avatar 30 pounds is not just a few pounds but I do not recommend you take it without presctiption after a visit to a doctor (not an online presecription) for the reasons i have mentioned above.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us