Medical Specialty >> Pharmacy

Question: Captopril

Cookie - Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:05 am

My mother has been taking Captopril for two years and I never noticed the medicine having any odor. I recently purchased a refill, and the pharmacist said they had changed distributors so the pills were a different shape. When she opened the pill bottle she noticed a bad odor. It smells like kerosene or gasoline. I called and he said the whole bottle smelled the same but it was not out of date and not to worry about it. I guess I need reassurance that its okay for her to take the medicine. Thank you for your advice.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:19 am

User avatar Hi Cookie,

Captopril tablets may have a slight sulfur like odor (hard boiled or rotten eggs). They are not supposed to smell like kerosene. If in doubt please order another refill.
 Cookie - Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:18 pm

Dear Dr. Fouad,
Thank you for your advice. I went to a different pharmacy and purchased a refill. There wasn't any odor in the Captopril.
Cookie