Question: Switching BCP

katie8977 - Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:57 pm

I am going to be switching to ortho-trycyclen lo from triphasil in a couple of weeks when my current pack comes to an end. I was just wondering if I should go on and start the new pills on the Sunday after my period starts like I would if I were beginning for the first time? Also, do I need to use an alternative birth control method when I switch over since it's a different brand? Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:48 am

If you are switching birth control pills wait until you get your menstrual period. If you do not get your period within five days of taking the last active pill, check with your doctor or healthcare professional to be sure that you are not pregnant. Treatment should begin within the first 24 hours of your period. If you do not start the birth control pills within the first 24 hours of your period, you should use non-hormonal back-up contraception for the first 7-14 days of use.