Question: Efexor Withdrawal Time

Blocka - Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:08 am

I have a friend on Efexor XR 225mg, he said he is going to start taking speed base. I informed him he could die with that mixture. Ive assured him to wait for me to find out about Efexor withdrawal. Can someone tell me how long does Efexor take to leave the body? How long should this guy wait until he turns to illegal drugs like speed base?
Thanks,
Robert
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:01 am

User avatar Blocka:

How awful! Effexor can take awhile to wash out, and the withdrawal, if stopped suddenly, is awful, and can last a month or more.

I'm afraid that I cannot really answer your question about how long your friend should wait before turning to illegal drugs. Of course, my opinion is that it is NEVER safe to turn to street drugs for any reason. I'm not exactly sure what speed base is, but if it's anything like methamphetamine, it's pure poison.

Please, please, try to convince your friend that there are effective treatments for depression. Just because Effexor was ineffective, it doesn't mean that nothing will work.
 psisci - Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:34 am

I totally agree with Dr. Eisele.

Tapering from Effexor can be tricky for alot of people, and takes time to be done effectively. Speed will only make things worse.