Question: luvox / movox

aidan - Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:06 pm

I am taking movox (generic luvox) at a dosage of 1 pill per day.

I resently discussed with my doctor the possibility of increasing my dosage as I am finding myself depressed & anxious frequently of late. She said were I to do so I should increase only in 1/2 pill increments and something about over 2 week periods and possibly something about every second day - can't remember. She's now on holidays and I need some clarification of this... namely how exactly should I go about increasing dosage? please help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:37 am

User avatar I am not familiar with whether or not these pills can be cut in half. If so, you can adjust your dosing accordingly. If not, you'll need to discuss this with your doctor. Your local pharmacist should be able to tell you whether or not you can cut the pills.

Luvox is in a category of medications known as SSRI or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. They are used to treat depression and occasionally anxiety. It can take SSRI's 3-4 weeks to reach full effect, so it is important not to interpret no response soon after starting the medicine as a medication failure. If symptoms are not under control in 3-4 weeks it is reasonable to try to adjust the dosage upwards. Generally, dosing increases are made in 3-4 week intervals to give the new dose a chance to work. There is a maximum dose that can be used.

I would recommend that you discuss with your doctor about how to increase your dosages. Often there is a physician that is covering for the doctor when he/she is out of town. You may be able to talk with this person to get some more specific answers. I am unable to give you any specifics as I do not have access to your chart and have not examined you.

Hopefully this helps a little.