Doctors Lounge - Pharmacy Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pharmacy Answers List

Forum Name: Pharmacy & Drug Topics

Question: drug abuse

Ravi_kant_verma - Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:15 am

my wife of 28 yrs old, is 4 months pegnant, she has taken alprax(aprazolam) 0.5 mg X 10 tabs in the night, she is ok now , but I want to know what will the effect on fetus?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:29 pm

User avatar Hi Ravi_kant_verma,

Unfortunately, this is a difficult question to answer. Alprazolam is classified as pregnancy class D by the FDA. This category is where there is positive evidence of fetal risk but in some cases the benefit may outweigh the risk. If it were clearly a teratogen (birth defect causer) it would be classified as category X.

Probably the baby will be fine since it was a one time exposure and the baby is currently in a phase of growth where the body is mostly growing and not forming new parts.

I would recommend that you let your obstetrician know about the exposure and discuss this with her.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us